PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Fitness Test - Soon to be twice a year!
Old 30th Jul 2007, 06:45
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Al R
Fine, we've moved the idea forward.. nothing wrong with that, and I'm happy to have my principle adjusted.

Men don't have to use the showers in the gym for instance.

In principle, the idea is right.

Where there's a will, there's a way.
Men in SLA certainly could use their quarter showers which of course obviates the need for a large changing room, more showers and ideally lockers. It will however add to the time away from work.

Then a proportion, say 5-10% will be female and we have that other oxymoron, female and quick shower.

I agree the principle is right and indeed the Typhoon Sqns have gyms at the sqn I believe which is of course the right way to go - new aircraft, new century, new ideas and new kit.

The bottom line though is that extra 3+ hours. There is only so much face time available in PSF. With JPA more face time would have been available (maybe) except that the staff were cut here.

There are lots of digital posts where a one hour straight absence is not that easy to manage. Once, as well as my day job I lost half my lunch break covering a shift worker. The idea of doing gym in lunch hour appeals to some but our young, and fitter, airmen do need their regular calorie intake.

Something has to give and at least something is the recognition that we can afford to reduce the non-operational task if we want a fitter Air Force.