PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thoughts on airline training
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2007, 00:05
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FLCH, good points...
xxx
What I gather here, in Pprune postings by future air carrier pilots, is the attitude that changed in 40 years of this industry. I remember the way airlines hired and trained, with competition in wages and perks to get applicants in the mid to late 1960s... and what it is now.
xxx
I am fortunate enough that my airline still handles training as it was performed in these days. Our 737, 747, MD-80 and A-310 training is still done in the traditional way, but... the 747-400 and A-340 get it all on computers as you describe it.
xxx
Another thing strikes me, is the attitude of today's young pilot generation, who "buy" their training ("in effect, "buy" theirselves a career") and insist they were the source of all the aeronautical experience that Orville and Wilbur did require for their first flights. The ability for Daddy to lay down $50,000 for their pilot training is not a yardstick for their ability to fly an airliner. They might just do OK with a Cessna or a Piper...
xxx
Sobering fact, for the "wannabees"... 50% will unfortunately fail to become a F/O for an airline, exact same failure rate as medical doctor or lawyers... dreaming to be a "rich airline captain" is not a qualification, and airline pilot high salaries are things of the past. My salary as 747 check captain and training manager would make you laugh... but it is better than F/Os with "US regional airlines"...
xxx
While some two-thirds of "wannabees" here in our forums, are short of being obnoxious with advice from experienced airline pilots (and some are definitely obnoxious, hiding in anonimity behind their PC screens), but as you see them at the interview, these same "lions" and "wolves" are acting as sheeps, and ready to hug the interviewer, kiss his hands or his shoes...
xxx
My pride as instructor, or check captain, is to have a 100% passing rate, I only ask, that they trust our curriculums, to lead them to success. We select the best applicants, not by "diplomas" of these aeronautical academies with prestigious name. A licence is a licence, it does not matter to our DGAC that the new hire comes from "Jo Bloe Flying Service in Podunk", or the "Superior Aeronautical College"... A CPL/IR/ME is a poor preparation to be candidate for the RH seat of a 737, so we insist on a jet type rating as first level of selection.
xxx
I have seen F/O trainees in 737 or MD-80 simulators unable to fly a non-precision approach, or circle-to-land maneuvers. Some believe that they can still "land" (on a 6,000 feet runway), as they reach the MAP point/time (located say, 500 feet above a runway threshold)...
xxx
I would urge any aspiring airline pilot to read and study two books when they start training for jet type ratings. One is "Handling the Big Jets" by D.P. Davies, (a lot on the subject of 747s), the other is "Fly the Wing" by Jim Webb (subject airplane is DC-9 primarily)... Both are on my bedside table, under my Playboy magazines...
xxx

Happy contrails