PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Fitness Test - Soon to be twice a year!
Old 29th Jul 2007, 20:28
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let’s face it, the Forces managed in World Wars 1 and 2, Korea, Nam, Aden, Falklands, GW1, and several more campaigns not mentioned. For the earlier campaigns they all smoked – how bad is that!!!!!

But quite a lot lived to a ripe old age and many people of recent campaigns will also do the same; despite what they eat, drink and smoke.

There is paranoia about the so called healthy life style from certain individuals. There is so much talk about what to eat, what to drink, how much exercise to do etc, etc, etc.

Are you so arrogant to really believe that mankind has got it so right that with todays belief about healthy living that we are all going to live to 106 years old?????

Why don’t you look at the average age of past famous athletes, footballers and any other sportsmen/women? I think you will find that most died at an average age.

The main reason that people are living longer is because of the medical research in certain areas curing many deceases. If you look at real figures you will see………..!!!!!!????????

Oh bollacks!!!! I have had enough of this…..

What is the point of arguing with some of you brainwashed idiots.

I get so annoyed that some of you paranoid fitness freaks suggest that us older types were not up to the job.

Never forget that people that have fought wars bigger and greater than you will ever do get some what annoyed by some the junk posted here.

For gods sake get a life and start living --- you only get one shot at it.
In World war 1, the men carried 23lbs of kit, today, its closer to 75 lbs if you're lucky. Then, they had next to sod all machinery to operate, today, mens minds have to be sharper for longer, and thats where physical fitness assists accuity which is critical. And no.. they survived.. they didn't manage anything. They were unfit and as ill as hell, and it was only because the enemy was in a similar situation that they got away with it.

If I was still in (and I'm not, so its a moot point) I wouldn't care what mankind did, my objective would be to ensure my men got home in one piece and that things ran as efficiently as possible. And thats where physical fitness can play its part.

I'm far from being a paranoid fitness freak now. Sure, in my early 20s I went for 2 or 3 runs a day, but that soon petered out! BUT.. as a result of being fit, my job was so much easier. I had more confidence to do better things, I could lead by example and I didn't spend ages trying to justify being lazy and unfit in what is supposed to be a fighting service. Aden.. Suez etc.. thats yesterday. This is today, we know more now and there are greater demands. I trust that the newer generation of leaders are not so myopic when it comes to the importance of keeping fit.