PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2007, 13:24
lomapaseo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:
The 'position' of cockpit controls is of relatively little value when there is an FDR trace. Several of us have cautioned about 'running away' with these pieces of information. Those who have seen cockpits after relatively high-speed impacts will know what I mean. Only where there is no FDR reading of throttle position on the runway will witness marks etc be relevant.

Words clearly written by someone who's not an investigator... All evidence is of value, even where there is a full FDR trace, for a number of reasons: correct selection in flight deck, control fails to respond (ergo pilot did not make selection); sensor attached to control or linkage, not surface (ergo surface position not, in fact, recorded), etc.

All witness marks are vital to a trained investigator - correctly interpreted they tell a story which must be heard...

Just as non-pilots are being cautioned to stay away from this discussion, may I suggest that flying an aeroplane doesn't qualify a pilot as an investigator?

(PS, as you're a Mod, I'm surprised at your post...)
I believe that this is a misinterpretation of what was said about the releavance of post crash throttle position. While it may be of value it should not be relied upon by itself and has far less credibility than DFDR data, FADEC chips etc.

The investigators have many things to look at and the appropiateness of each of the gathered facts must also be judged in each individual accident