PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Difference between dispatcher and "dispatcher"
Old 29th Jul 2007, 13:14
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinion about dispatchers

I am a pilot, and have high respect for dispatchers and their assistants. These are competent people that take part in flight planning, and keep an eye on us while we fly from A to B. I know all my dispatcher and assistants by their first name...
xxx
Please be aware, that a dispatcher, in the countries that I know, are often with a well paid position, despite being an "office" function. They are certainly of the higher salary levels in airline operation departments.
xxx
Mickey Mouse exam and licence... and 2 month-long course, it certainly is a ridiculous training, equal in ridicule to the ATPL exam courses. The dispatchers or pilots learn by experience in their carreers... a new assistant dispatcher might not know much as he starts his career, no more than a first year first officer...
xxx
I have worked many times on contracts with European and Middle East air carriers, Sterling, Saudia, and Cargolux to mention a few, and as a pilot, I consider their dispatchers as excellent.
xxx
Further, I know a few pilot colleagues who have lost their medical certification because bad health conditions... Some became pilot instructors with the airlines, and some... became dispatchers, due to the fact that they can use their knowledge and experience in an important airline activity. And I speak here for FAA style operations, or UK/CAA, or German LBA...
xxx

Happy contrails