PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL(h) in South Africa
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2007, 19:30
KeithO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Salease - Enstrom only

Unless things have changed very recently Salease only operates/trains on Enstrom m/cs. More expensive than the good old R22, and, in some ways much harder to handle ab intio, in that neither the Falcon nor Shark have a governor. They are more stable though, and some would argue "safer" (better hot & high performance than the Robbie, and 3-bladed main rotor).

Wonderboom is a bit in the sticks, so unless you have a car you would be a little isolated - that said there is accom at the airport, and Giovannis is a great airport restuarant. (To be fair if you're going to be in RSA for any length of time you'll need a private car - public transport (at least any on which you can safely travel) is non-existent).

So that's the sensible comments, but the over-riding fact for me to vote against Salease would be the CFI Keith Smith - he has the people skills of Attila the Hun, and is as mad as a march hare!(personal opinion of course)

You pays yer money and takes your choice, but I would DEFINITELY speak to Henley Air at Rand Airport (R22/44 & 206) owner/CFI Andre Coetzee - great school, very well run, good field to train at.

I'm a Brit (resident in Joburg) and did my PPL (H) in RSA, so feel free to drop me an email. (I also edited a local aviation mag, so probably have a reasonably broad view of the scene)