PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dragon Rapide (not!)
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2007, 04:47
Gipsy Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andy_RR,

Yes, the Gipsy Sixes did sound nice on start up. The Gipsy Queen sounded even better. But orchestrating four Sixes in a DH114 is really fun!

G-Kest,

I was waffling on about the Gemini a few days ago.

I wouldn't argue with your take-off procedure in the Rapide but as a rule of thumb (whatever that may be, and I'm sure it's dangerous!), I preferred to get the tail up early, other things being equal. Not in the case of the Rapide however. De Havilland tails characteristically tended to be on the small side and, in the case of two engines, this was a particular disadvantage compared with the more usual pre-war practice of having twin tails a la Gemini. Not much in the way of corkscrew effect but the gyroscopic precession with torque reaction from two props turning in the same direction did militate against getting the tail up too soon. I never did positively establish whether moving the throttle and stick forward together shortened the take-off run.

On the other hand, the Beechcraft 18, even with the tailwheel locked, had a propensity to ground loop if you didn't pay attention and I preferred to get onto two wheels ASAP when starting the roll. Ditto for the DC3, not because of handling difficulties but having set the DI when lining up, that's all you could see in front of you until the tail rose. Of course, these had contra-rotating props which makes a big difference. And having to pay for the tailwheel shear-pin replacement when you forget the check downwind makes a difference to your pay packet too!

The Rapide was fun and you really were King of the Castle stuck up there in the front all by yourself with that wonderful view outside and quirky panel layout inside which was quite hard work in IMC. I remember it as a pretty vice-less aircraft but you did have to watch wing tip stall. More powerful flaps would have been nice . . .

Best.