PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Argonaut/North Star Memories and Observations
Old 27th Jul 2007, 18:34
ONE GREEN AND HOPING

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Panshanger relics

.........Apart from the Argonaut/ex TCA DC4M mentioned above, I seem to remember seeing what I thought were a couple or three standard DC4's parked on the grass there at some point around early or mid 60's. It's possible there could have been some confusion if observed from a distance. I had visited to borrow/rent/ferry a light aircraft, and had been surprised to see such large airliners dumped outside what I assumed was just the local flying club. ( no entry found in logbook, so not sure of the date ) For some reason I recall the flaps were fully extended making them look a bit untidy and abandoned. Referring again to the North Star book, I don't see any Argonaut/C4 or DC4M having been scrapped at Panshanger.
More likely Bagington if they could be ferried.

Midland 331 at top of page struck a bell. I just checked, and note that on a sector in May 1965 we had to return to the ramp and shut down ( Damascus - Baghdad ) having been stuck for ages at the runway holding point awaiting a clearance. The Merlin engine temps were the problem. I suppose it's quite poss that coms between DAM and BGW ATC's at that stage relied on that chaotic AM only HF radio. Having no radar, we used to suffer from hail damage to the radiators, and as co-pilot and assistant to the Ground Eng crew member on these occasions, it would have been my job to make sure the rad fins were reasonably straightend out with a flat piece of wood or similar. We seem to have got away later.....