PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TPMS
Thread: TPMS
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2007, 16:37
enicalyth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
neglect by roadies?

A road vehicle rolls all the way to its intended destination on its tyres. In its simplest form TPMS measures differential rotation speeds. You could encumber it with nitrogen pressure sensing, temperature sensing, vibration sensing which may prevent an appalling roadtrain accident twixt Alice Springs and Tennant Creek. But to prevent an accident in the 45secs it takes an aircraft to travel 2000 metres before taking flight the first line of defence is the partnership of engineer and pilot who perform the pre-flight inspection. If at the back of your mind you have an idea that aircraft tyres are physically neglected and that furthermore the best way to mitigate the consequences is to calibrate and fit a sophisticated suite of testgear that has a measureable mean time between failures I have a better idea. Fit the gauges if they are practicable and make everyone's job easier but never for an instant abandon daily, flightly physical inspection by eye and by tools. And don't ape the habits of bad drivers. If drivers drove the way ground engineers prepared aircraft and pilots checked I'd be happier. Then my ten-year old boy would be a forty-two year old man.