PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Fitness Test - Soon to be twice a year!
Old 27th Jul 2007, 12:25
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear vecvechookattack,

If I had a responsibility for the performance and results of the men in my charge, it would be my responsibility. I would certainly not pass the buck because I was afraid that asking them to go to gym for an hour would result in a collective crewroom chunter. Thankfully, most folk look after themselves now anyway.

At a half marathon near London recently, there were a load of young lads (too old to be recruits by the looks of it) with Benevolent Fund T shirts running. My next door neighbour (a 46 year old retired chief) beat them around, in fact 2 out of the 8 didn't even finish. He's only been training for 3 months, so there has to be something wrong somewhere if thats the situation.

I know that the RAF isn't likely to tab 13 miles into theatre anytime soon, but its still indicative of a potential problem. And I know too that although it isn't trendy, but whatever the branch or trade, a healthy body does lead to a healthy mind.. or as FS Curtis (ex Queens Colour Sqn) said to me before he released my bedpack out of the window one morning 'Shiny boots, shiny mind son '. lol