PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Report published on loss of RAF Hercules XV206 in Afghanistan
Old 26th Jul 2007, 18:37
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Chugalug - the RAF has hardly enough people to do it's primary business let alone support a cadre of AAIB lookalikes waiting around for, hopefully few, chances to test their skill? And it's not the sort of job that someone could do as a 'secondary duty' - no need to be astounded though!
You are, of course quite right to admonish me, Mmmmnice, I should have learned long since not to be astounded by anything that I read here. But is there not something deeply worrying (there I go again!) when:

"As the RAF does not have AAIB technically qualified individuals, the BOI advisors from RAF Bentley Priory request support from the Royal Navy Flight Safety and Accident investigation Centre RNAS Yeovilton"

given that the raison d'etre of the RN is the sea while that of the RAF is the air? Given the various threads running on this forum concerning the possible Airworthiness and Flight Safety deficiencies exposed by accidents to the Hercules, Nimrod and Chinook fleets of the RAF, particularly with respect to the decision making process by the MOD and higher commanders of the RAF, is that not at the very least a cause for concern? Flight Safety should be fundamental to any aviation activity, civil or military. It used to be paramount in the RAF. I am not persuaded that remains the same today.