PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Difference between dispatcher and "dispatcher"
Old 26th Jul 2007, 17:19
merlinxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AGREE

Kellmark - I agree
Celestar - I agree

Why do I agree with your both. Fundamental history of both Flight Operation Support functions. Simple and short apps:

USA - 1920/30/40s F/D required by both operators/pilots (aka Capt Jepp the great man) & CAA. No ATC! Companies used their staff to monitor enroute WX etc via landline voice & telegraph.

Europe - 1920/30/40s FOO required by operators to act as Flight Assistants with similar duties as USA, but had no authorization to intervene in operational matters. Europe post WWII had a fairly basic, rudimentary ATC system backed by the newly implemented SITA (1947) network. Many flag carriers such as BOAC inherited a preware telegraph system (BOAC's was OFTS - overseas fixed telecommunications system. PanAm had a similar network)

We will one day all have similar requirements for the license requirements
We all do a very similar job, so lets all work together as Kellmark there allot
of European operators who DO operate a flight following/watch system, I myself was back in the 1960s when I started in the scheduled market here in the UK at LGW, though our only contact with our aircraft (even in Europe) was via HF. We operated within Europe, Africa, South America with adhocs into the Far East.

I wish we could set up transfer visits to each others operations, familiarisation does work.

Finish, got my coat & where are the keys need a pint. Cheers folks any comments plse do PM me.

Arthur's little helper.