PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MCL - Is it Mickey Mouse?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2007, 16:37
potkettleblack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having spent about 5 minutes reading the JAR FCL document here are my thoughts:-

- People are getting caught up about it being airline specific. I think a number of you are comparing apples and oranges. From my understanding the MPL is only airline specific in relation to getting approvals as a TRTO/FTO or whatever fancy name they want to throw at the organisation who runs the training. I couldn't see any reason for organisations like GECAT not to offer an MPL course subject of course to them meeting all of the required JAA approvals and having sufficient sim availability. At the end of the day you come away with a type rating on a specific aircraft type and I could see no reason why you can't take that to another operator at a later date if you so wish.

- to understand the privileges of the MPL you need to read all the cross references that are in the JAR FCL document. You can't just read it in isolation. For example it cross refers to the section on CPL and IR privileges. With a CPL and ticks in the boxes for 1,500 hours, 500 multi crew in a multi pilot, night hours etc etc then there should be no reason why you can't upgrade to an ATPL. This usually takes the form of a few extra bits and pieces during one of your OPC's in the sim.

- I see no reference whatsoever to say that you will not be able to command a jet. Someone can enlighten me on that.

Finally you need to stand back and see what the whole aim of the MPL is about. It was mooted years ago by a few European airlines (think one might have been Lufthansa) that had significant spare simulator and training capacity. They clearly had issues with the current form of training and felt that it had little relevance to a modern airlines operations. They felt that they could train someone from zero to hero to a much higher standard than the traditional route of bimbling around in a C152 then stepping up to a 40 year old tired old twin and capping that off with an MCC course conducted in a glorified cardboard bomber with the autopilot on whilst you convince yourself that you are working together as a multi pilot crew just because you are able to shout out a few standard calls here and there.

Having gone through all of the above then stepped into a full conversion course (type rating) on a medium jet, had my head into SOP's, QRH's, operations manuals and FCOM's, followed by base training, then line training and a line check I can honestly see where they are coming from. My days of negotiating MATZ penetrations, balancing my kneeboard whilst trying to plot a position fix, having an instructor that would take delight in chopping the throttle on one of the engines when I was looking the other way outside all whilst having no autopilot, no tcas and no anti ice are thankfully behind me. Don't get me wrong I would still like to go for the odd trip with mates that have PPL's to get some handflying in but the MPL is probably heading in the right direction.

The doubting thomas's are generally those that have a vested interest in renting you that £300/hr battered old twin and have little comprehension of what airline flying involves nor wish to move with the times.