PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan XH 558 Threads (merged)
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2007, 13:51
G-KEST

Awesome but Affordable

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Devil

cyclic_fondler wrote -
"But wouldn't they miss out on a massive PR opportunity by not announcing the first flight date?
If they are worried about safety, why not make it an official event. Sort out parking on the airfield and charge the spectators a small nominal fee to see the aircraft getting rolled out, made ready for flight and then the taxi and the take off. Any monies made could go to the fund. Invite the press.
I'd rather turn on the news on BBC/ITV etc and hear ".... and thousands turned up to see the historic Vulcan Bomber XH 558 take to the skies again" rather than a damp squid in the form of "And finally an old RAF bomber flew again after restoration"
Article 80 of the ANO applies to any flying event where it is advertised and open to the public. It does not apply to aircraft at such an event that are landing or taking off in accordance with normal aviation practice. I doubt if any court would find this first test flight to be normal aviation practice.
If the event is private and not open to the public then Article 80 does not apply.
Should the first post restoration flight of the Vulcan ever take place then the last thing needed on that day is a huge crowd of onlookers, many of whom would be somewhat disenchanted at the almost inevitable holdups. I am sure the planned flight test crew would agree.
Yes, we can recall that first flight of Concorde so memorably described by Raymond Baxter at Toulouse. By all means invite the media but no others please.
Essential personnel only should be there and, despite their generosity, this does not include those whose cash has made the restoration possible.
Cheers,
Trapper 69