PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 26th Jul 2007, 13:33
6Z3

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Perhaps I could offer a couple of points with regard to university degrees.
1. In my day (I joined the RAF with BEagle!) the best way to join was under the university cadetship scheme. This replaced the Cranwell Cadet (2-n-half years) as the top flight method of entry for aircrew. By being a grad, you identified yourself academically as one of the top 7% of the country, which the RAF deemed to be important in an ever increasing complex technical world of aviation. That said, your degree could be in anything - "Medieval French History, "Ceramics", "Forestry" to name but a few on my course, I did "Biological Sciences". A university cadetship remains the best method to this day, however now, by having a degree you will have identified yourself academically as one of the top 50%(?) of the population (if Tony Blair's initiative continues). So, unless you get an upper 2nd or better from one of the premier league universities and in a proper subject, your competitiveness will be limited were you subsequently to stumble during flying/officer training at any stage.
2. 3 or 4 year degree courses, plus perhaps a gap year, together with all the holds between courses, restreams, etc have resulted in the average age of pilots arriving on their first squadron being 28 years! The RAF has recognised that their high flyers need to be well into management posts by this age if they are going to reach Air rank early enough to make a difference. Hence the more recent push to encourage entry from school, with enticements (misguided if you ask me) like in-service degrees.
So, in my view, unless you are academically gifted and could expect to achieve a quality degree from a quality university, then this route to any career is a waste of years. Better to join after school and aim to be FL by say 22. This would enable you to wrack up the flying hours, and associated management skills to make an informed decision at 38 (go, and have a decent 2nd career in civvy street, or stay and aim for Air rank).
Finally a tip to give yourself an edge by the time you go for selection. The Duke of Edinburgh scheme is well regarded. Join it if you haven't already, and work towards achieving DofE Gold, it's as good as another A level, and speaks volumes about committment, teamwork, ethos, character etc.
All IMHO