PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "MPs warn over air security checks"
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2007, 13:32
SRR99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Security?

So are we saying that the security people who had all the zeal of Nazi soldiers have not actually been protecting us, and may have been mindlessly following the rules?
2 years ago, thousands of people were evacuated from Gatwick airside to landside in the North Terminal, as the result of a bomb scare. The hall was completely full to the entrance doors. A terrorist's dream. Yet the authorities apparently thought that this was safe.
After Glasgow, they started batching people in buses. Haven't they seen the news of blown-up buses in Israel?
The only answer is to increase capacity, reduce batching and queueing, and stop politicians from taking knee-jerk reactions in areas that are beyond their comprehension.
Exactly what is the liquid explosive that they couldn't detect before these silly measures, but that can be fabricated/mixed on board a plane? Ask any chemist what the liquid explosive is - and don't say silly answers like nitroglycerine (unsuitable), or acetone,or H2O2. I haven't met a chemist who cold tell me what that liquid would be.
They could solve this major bottleneck by stopping the silly checks for liquids by simply getting, say, 4 PhD chemists, and getting them to try to manufacture a bomb in aircraft conditions. When they fail, we can lift the restrictions. Most reports I've read say that they could make TATP, but this is a solid, and the chances of making it and sucessfully damaging the airframe are negligible.
So, let's start a campaign! Repeat , after me,
What are the liquid explosives?

Everybody join in now.
Also, let's not forget that 9/11, prior to which we were all apparently dreaming, was a relatively unsophisticated attack involving knives - not some over-elaborate scheme which involves ever more expensive machinery to detect it.
Wake up, everybody, and don't let the insecurity industry ruin our lives.