PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boredom Strikes.
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2007, 10:47
Swamp76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remind myself that I am supporting my family, work will always be work.

Then I try to exercise some PDM when I can and inject some variety into the job.

If it is a clear day, fly home at 10,000' for the view. On a long trip, go 20 miles out of the way to get a look at Crystal Falls (for instance).

I once told the company I would only do a ferry flight if I could bring my wife and children, which I did. It was great.

Just remember what made the job enjoyable when you started and rekindle that. If that doesn't work, think about what you haven't done (or seen) and do it.

Within reason of course. Going off track on a long trip (200 miles) by 20 miles, if planned ahead, only adds a couple minutes to the trip (4 miles added to a 200 mile trip for a mid-point 20 mile offset). Don't be dangerous or careless with the bosses money, but don't be a stick in the mud either.

In Dryden, Ontario, Canada there is a Best Western with 2 helipads out back. A great place to stop for lunch rather than an airport the first time you go by.

I took a coorespondence Aircraft Mechanics course and tried to apply my new knowledge to the daily grind. Interesting insights into the machine.

Take an extra job with the company (safety officer, employee rep, marketing). Sometimes promotins aren't, lateral moves can be very rewarding as change is often as good as a rest.

If you like the company but are burning out, ask for a sabbatical to recharge your batteries.

You didn't give much detail but I'd guess you are instructing ???

I found that job easy to burn out in so I talked to my students about putting some mutual effort into planning their training for maximum effect. Why not plan a day of training: do a mid-length crosscountry to an unfamiliar airport, stop for lunch/breakfast, then complete some other work (cct's, emergency trg, a solo flight), and return to home base via a completely different route, get them to find and photograph something woth seeing. Use scenarios and be creative.

Hope this helps.