PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Neighbours war with wounded soldiers families
Old 25th Jul 2007, 18:29
cargosales

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update

Just to keep everyone up to speed with what's happening:

Today (Wednesday 25th), the Blue Team started leafletting and knocking on doors in Ashtead.

One of the guys there, jack-daniels, posted this on ARRSE a short while ago:
"Points from today:

1. 99.99% of the people we spoke to in the street are in favour of SSAFA buying the house for the purpose of family visits.

2. One bloke we spoke to knows the main objector and called him ''an utter cnut''!

3. One person asked us tongue in cheek if we were from ''that scurillous website!''

4. We spoke to the lady who owns number 36, I will not put her comments on here due to Red Team sneaking in.

5. After we gave people leaflets a lot of them came back and asked us all about it.

6. A couple of people did ask why the house wasn't being built in Headley Court so we told them the reasons

7. The residents of Haig Homes, a spit away from No 36 are all favour.

8. A lot of people used swear words when talking about the objectors, we didn't!

9. One resident of Grays Lane didn't even know people were objecting to the proposal!

I'm sure the other guys will add more to this but thanks to Saintstone. The Snake and Sven. It was a pleasure if not a bit wet towards the end but the lady from Help the Aged charity shop gave us two brollies to use! "
...End...

Well done guys

Also today, I had a telephone conversation with Part Time Pongo from ARRSE who is co-ordinating the whole campaign. He's very much on top of things, including organising people to speak on behalf of Blue Team at the Mole Valley District Council meeting on 1st August when the matter will be discussed.

PTP is also on top of lobbying, some of which is at a very high level indeed! There are several other initiatives underway but details are being kept under wraps as Red Team are known to be reading these pages *hello Red Team*

The one thing which PTP and everyone on ARRSE is insistent on though is that we retain the moral high ground. This means please guys, no personal attacks on, or indeed any contact with, individual objectors and doing nothing which could be used by them to undermine our position. They sank to personal lows with some of their objections but let's not join them there.

In other news, the Ashtead Residents Association appears to be softening its stance which, if correct, is great news.

And, even better, today the petition http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Headley/ went through the 10,000 signature barrier. This is good news because that is the number at which 'the powers that be' start to pay serious attention to an issue. The more the better though so if you haven't then sign now! But only once please - can't have Red Team crying foul over a silly thing like enthusiasm.

That's it for the moment but I'll update when I can add more.

CS