PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 162 SkyCatcher
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2007, 17:00
Say again s l o w l y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry but bo**ocks.

Carb'd engines went the way of the dinosaur in car design for a very good reason. Cost, complexity, tuneability, emissions and reliability.

Carbs are better only in particular circumstances. Rubbish EFI does exist, the original sytems could be snatchy and have poor throttle response, but the benefits outweigh the negatives by enormous factors.

I love carb engines on cars and bikes, because I can fiddle with them. I have twin webber DCOE 40's on my spitfire and they are wonderful.
They use fuel at an unholy rate and are rubbish a low engine speeds and talk about complex! But I think they are wonderful.

A well set up EFI system wallops carbs in nearly every respect, especially when combined with modern engine design.

Just chucking EFI on an old engine isn't likely to make it run better, but evolve the design together and you get a far better result.

Yes car and bike manufacturers play with revs etc to get around emissions testing, but we are talking about controls that a Lycoming couldn't get within a mile of even if it was straight out the box and working perfectly.

These engines are decript dinosaurs and should have gone extinct years ago, they are inefficient ditch pumps in comparison to the technology that is out there.

Lobbing a 60 year old engine design into a new a/c is taking the p**s to be honest. They'll probably sell by the thousand unfortunately and we'll be stuck with another generation of lo-tec rubbish.