PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2007, 14:30
bomarc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree that this should not be an Airbus vs. Boeing debate (if it were I would chose douglas ;-)

Quite simply, there have been landing events for both types.

Even the southwest/midway event indicated 18 seconds after landing prior to getting into reverse thrust.

Air France Toronto, 17 seconds for TR !

AS accidents like this WILL HAPPEN again, proper overruns, emas systems and the like must all be part of the equation.

SO TOO grooving (*which alpa has asked for for over 40 years) and crowning, in which the center of the runway is higher than the edges to allow water to go off to the sides MUST be the norm.

I hope our Brazillian friends will ask if CROWNING had been done on 35left.

As to the unique elements of the airbus throttle system, we must believe that these high time pilots were properly trained at some point. If not, the indictment must be against the entire system of certification of pilots, trainers, airports and the aircraft.

FURTHERMORE, I would like to see all responsible authorities remove THRUST REVERSERS from the MEL list. Thereby requiring thrust reversers to be properly functioning for all passenger flights. Ferry permits could still be authorized for flights without passengers to repair depots.

any of these may have prevented the tragic outcome...we must defend safety in depth.

What are the porteugese words for: what the hell is it doing?

bomarc is back.