PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Now is your chance to remove unnecessary rules and costs/VOR airspace thread merged
Old 25th Jul 2007, 11:18
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dick on your above points covering,

Biennial Flight Reviews

Instrument ratings

IFR recency requirements and annual renewals

Endorsements,

you need to differentiate between what the regulator requires and what Insurance Companies demand to extend cover to an individual.

I very much doubt the savings in these areas are anything like significant. Insurance costs in the US varies enormously depending on what extended training courses an individual has completed...as an example someone transitioning from a simple aircraft, say 172, to a Bonanza may have to complete 20-30hrs cross country on the Bonanza with a suitably qualified instructor before coverage is extended at all let alone affordable coverage.

Hardly a month goes by when I don't read on the various industry websites I subscribe to about a US PPL holder CFITing while flying an ILS etc etc.

Here is a typical example...if you don't think this impacts insurance premiums you're dreaming...would the overly burdensome Australian requirements have avoided this accident?

http://www.avweb.com/news/probablecause/194578-1.html

There is a price to pay for light regulatory hands...the old story, no free lunch.

I think you are naive to suggest huge savings in some of the points you raise above...other points you make above would surely be an improvement.

It seems to me though that reading your list above I see your old drum hidden (badly) among the items...what a surprise.