PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR departure restrictions
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2007, 11:09
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Single Spey,

You need to understand what a pile of crap RAS can be if there is other traffic about. Here is an example which demonstrates what I mean;

ABC123 a commercial pax flight in inbound from the south in IMC descending and receiving a RAS from a nearby military airfield. About 8nm from the overhead, ATC say "ABC123 avoiding action turn right heading 090 unknown traffic left to right 12 o'clock 7 miles.

After several avoiding action turns, and now getting further from the destination, the pilot questions ATC regarding the unknown and ATC respond that; they are probably in the circuit at the destination but to get any closer we would have to cancel RAS (against company policy when IMC in UK Class G).

With that kind of service, you can see why commercial companies put such pressure on aerodrome authorities (and thus ATC) to ensure that such stupid reasons for delay do not happen.

I can see your point and I agree totally that Class G should not be operated as Class C. However, simply when flying in the UK think of it as Class C without the known traffic environment!

Personally, I am far more worried about the pilot who departs VFR and then enters cloud just outside the ATZ cause they have an IMC rating and want to get on top.

The whole problem is that for many reasons there is no trust between sections of the team.

Perhaps in this case, it would have been better for ATC to simply provide traffic information and advice as per MATS 1- B737 inbound from...descending to 3000ft not above 2000ft until clear of that traffic Report the traffic in sight.

Regards,

DFC