PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR departure restrictions
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2007, 10:37
bookworm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
earthey

I appreciate your measured response to my rather provocative post.

Regardless of he rules, it is worth remembering that these are still lumps of metal full of people, and it is taking a big gamble to simply hope some of the VFR aircraft "see" the conflict.
But that's not your gamble. That's a gamble that is shared in responsibility between DAP, SRG, the airline and the crews involved. And the problem with imposing your solution on your view of the risk management picture, is that your view of that picture is often incomplete, particularly in class G airspace. As SS says:

What happens if I follow the 2000 ft restriction but then have an AIRPROX with a non-squawking aircraft in the vicinity that is not talking to the ATC unit? Who is responsible? Because I have accepted delegation of my separation to ATC even though I am VFR, am I absolved of any responsibility?
That is the essence of the issue. If someone has responsibility for risk management, they also have to have appropriate power to control the risk (and not just the risk that you can see, the whole risk picture). If you allow ATC to give instructions to and place restrictions on aircraft outside controlled airspace, you take the necessary control away from the pilot, despite the pilot still having the responsibility.