PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2007, 09:48
ACMS

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
NigelOnDraft: Any aeroplane that takes the Pilot out of the loop is not good.
Airbus Thrust levers in a "forward" detent on landing is not logical to a Pilot, I don't care what you say.
A Boeing has thrust levers that MOVE, and it's my assertion that an accident of this kind could not happen in a Boeing.
If you were landing with the Auto Throttle engaged in Speed mode and the levers didn't close in the FLARE you would have you hand on them monitoring their movement and would know, then you would close them both. Simple
The Boeing has a nice big Speedbrake Lever right beside the Captain, when it moves you can 1/ see it clearly in your peripheral vision and 2/ hear it.
IF it doesn't move because the landing is too smooth then you grab it and move it yourself. Simple.

On a Boeing if you tried to select Reverse and one or both levers were slightly forward you simply pull the levers back ( still holding the reversers part of the throttles ) and select reverse. Simple.

Autobrakes on a Boeing work: after both thrust levers are at idle
and both wheels have spun up.
But my assertion is that on a Boeing the chances of landing with one or even both levers not in idle is very remote.

Last edited by ACMS; 25th Jul 2007 at 09:58.