PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Engine Failure?!?!?!
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2007, 07:54
HotDog
The Reverend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong) the only three man 767 was the Ansett variant. I was in Seattle doing my 747 conversion when the 767 specs were released and there were no 3 man cockpit models envisaged at the time. The only reason Boeing went along with the ridiculous Ansett requirement because they were anxious for the sale. The function of the flight engineer on Ansett's 767s , was extremely limited but it kept the unions happy.

Just found this blog on Airliners Net:

Basically in a NUT shell, the first 5 original 767-277s delivered to Ansett in 1983-84 were delivered with 3 person crewed flight decks, which included an engineers station. These were the only 767s to be delivered this way. When Ansett's 767 order was placed, AFAP (Australian Federation of Air Pilots) and AAFEA (Australian Airline Flight Engineers Association) insisted that their aircraft be operated by two pilots and an engineer. Eventually all 5 were converted into standard a standard two pilot cockpit by the time Ansett went out of business.

Last edited by HotDog; 25th Jul 2007 at 08:28.