PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2007, 06:48
TopBunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Earlier on (a few pages back), in this thread I was trying to reconcile the speed of the aircraft in comparison to the preceding in the video. Whilst obviously there can be differences as a function of landing weight etc, the speed of the accident aircraft was obviously extreme.

Now Airbus have issued a reminder to operators about the requirement to close all thrust levers it seems clear to me that this was not done in this case, which goes a long way to explaining the subsequent crash.

I understand the poster defending colleagues saying that any 'blaming the pilots and their families is heresy', but we have to be open to facts, and whilst Airbus system design may not help, closing the thrust levers is a damn good first step that allows spoilers, brakes, reverse to help to mitigate what was clearly a slippery surface at an airfield where there was little safety margin at all.

I'm sure that more recommendations will follow with the detailed analysis being undertaken, but to me, the initial causal factor is clearly not closing the thrust levers.

RIP