PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Strange Habits of Your Captains
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2007, 04:04
400Rulz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get Over It

So you're a captain. You are responsible for the safe and efficient conduct of the flight. But that doesn't make you god, and it doesn't mean you are going to be automatically respected. That may have been the case 40 years ago (and yes, I was around then), but it is not now. Since the introduction of CRM, the number of crew related incidents has declined dramatically, especially when one takes into account the increase in aviation traffic over the years. F/O's are no longer afraid (at least in my airline) to speak up, as our system is completely transparent. There is a "no blame, no shame" culture now, and it has resulted in a much safer and efficient environment.
I have had the CRL experience (centre, right, left). I have seen as many stuff-ups by RHSeaters as LHSeaters. We are human=fallible. The older we get, the slower we get (but hopefully wiser), and chances are that some quick witted chap in the RHS is going to pick up an error before we do. I would rather have him say something before it becomes an issue, than to allow the holes in the cheese to line up.
One of the great levellers in the system has been the company's insistence on adherance to SOP's. There is no longer the latitude afforded us once-upon-a-time. We can no longer say "I have always done it this way, so I'll continue to...". As a S/O I used to hear that more often than not, but all those old duffers have since retired, and aviation is all the more safe for their departure.
And that leaves one variable - personality. If you always operate according to SOP's but have an arrogant attitude, guys will say "He's safe, but an ar&ehole to fly with" or "one more day away with him and I'd have killed him". Respect is no longer demanded - it is earned. Treat your RHSeaters with respect and you'll get it back. The same applies to F/O's. It is a two way street.