PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Generic Interview & Recruitment Questions
Old 24th Jul 2007, 19:58
EzyChic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Claire

Firstly good for you for following your dreams :-)

For interview info I would suggest you check the easyJet recruitment thread.

As for family matters etc I should be able to help, I'll tell you my story and see if it's any help...

Basically, I always fancied becoming CC but it was always out of reach (or so I thought) I always thought I was too fat or just basically didn't think I could do it.

At 19 I got pregnant with my first child, me and the dad didn't stick together so at 20 I was a single parent working part time in a shop (oh and very overweight). One day I decided I didn't want to be fat and joined weight watchers, I lost a lot of weight, I was still overweight but a million times more confident. I started seeing a wonderful man too, nothing serious but we went out a few times, he lived quite far away from me, which was fine as I didn't want to get too involved too soon, or for my baby to be around a strange person.

One day, I was watching day time TV and airline came on, I don't know why, but I decided I could be cabin crew and so filled in an online application there and then.

A few days later I got an email back asking me to go to LTN for an assessment (I live in Bedford so not far from LTN). I was very excited, but very nervous about how it would affect my life, single parent, no family close by, nothing.

Anyhow, I went ahead with the assesment day, after trying to get an idea of childcare etc. I was offered a position with easyJet a couple of days later.

I didn't drive so had to get the train too and from work, I had problems with baby sitters, had to rely on friends a lot and remind my childs father that although we were not together he still had a responsibility to his child.

I did get through the training, however, despite being intellegent (i have 12 GCSEs anyway, i just didn't carry on with my education) I really struggled emotionally as I felt guilty for leaving my baby (he was 10 months at this point), I had housing problems etc etc. I almost failed one of my exams, I wasn't aware at the time, but no one thought I would last long.

I spent 18 months flying as CC with a baby, commuting to work via train at all times, it was absolutley exhausting but I loved it. For my little boys 1st birthday present I took him to Portugal for a week (a bit selfish in a way), but it was just the 2 of us and we had a fantastic time, spent some real quality time together, and I vowed I would bring him up with lots of travelling and let him see there is more to the world then Bedford.

After 18 months I passed my driving test so could now drive to work, which took off tonnes of pressure. And the guy I met when my little boy was young had moved in with us. I then found out I was pregnant with baby no 2 (whoo hoo). easyJet were fantastic and offered me a fab maternity package. I went back to work when baby no 2 was about 10 months old and applied for a promotion, which I got.

I now work as a senior, me and my otherhalf work the nursery run between us, if I can I drop the kids off at nursery and him at work (he can't drive) sometimes I go back to bed, sometimes I don't get the chance. Usually if I can't do the dropping off I can do the picking up, sometimes I can't do either, or I get delayed so have to phone my other half and let him know he needs to pick the kids up. Sometimes (like today) you get delayed and don't get home 'til 2am, but still need to get up at 6am to do your motherly duties before work. But if you love your family and your job it's so worth it.

I try to take the kids away at least once every couple of months, to either a city or a nice beach, they love flying and seeing new cultures, it also gives my other half some time to himself at home too.

If you really want to do it you can, however I can't tell you how hard it will be. You will have to go to LTN for your 4 weeks training which will meen missing your kids (I don't know how old they are).

And I'm sure days you'll feel guilty for not seeing them (leave the house before they get home and get home after they've gone to bed).

However the money isn't bad, you meet fantastic people, and the sense of achievment you'll get from managing a family and a great job is amazing.

I don't know you're exact circumstances, like the age of your kids (I now have an 15mth old and an almost 4 yr old), nursery/school situations etc.

Also bear in mind easyJet is a business, it's not acceptable to expect special treatment because you have kids (IMO). They will give you emergency dependancy leave etc if you need it, but don't expect to be given shorter days, nicer hours or to be excused for being late etc.

If you're happy to deal with the responsibility and you really want it, go for it.

Best of luck, please let us know how you get on.

Ezy