PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2007, 14:10
Rippa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Questions right now are the ff:

1.Did The Pilots Armed The Spoilers? or they forgot it?

2.When the Aircraft touches on the ground, did the engine suffers a FOD? due to excessive water and other contaminants coming in to the fan blades going to the compressor??? resulting the thrust reverser INOP?

3.Did the Engine Stop During/after the the aircraft touches the ground?
resulting the some hydraulics system to fail??

4.If the Spoilers deploy during touchdown??

5.Did The Computers take over the commands of the pilot?
Some answers,

1- Arming the spoilers is part of the final app preparation (gear down, spoilers armed, and lights on). At TAM, there is a FINAL checklist. The items:

- Cabin crew........advised
- Auto thrust.......speed
- ECAM memo......landing, no blue

Landing, no blue means that the landing items are all done (the ECAM memo displays all "essential" items to be armed / prepared for landing. If one forgets to arm the spoilers, the line "spoilers" will be like this:
Spoilers.......ARM (in blue)
So, before the PF calls - landing, no blue - he has to check the ECAM memo. (Sorry my lack of English skills, I hope the answer it is clear enough)

2- FOD is not an issue here, I believe.

3- With flaps extended, the ignition system is on, and therefore, engine failure is unlikely (but it can happen, sure). About the hydraulics, the system has more than 1 pump (one engine pump and one electric pump) and also a PTU, so the complete loss of hydraulic pressure due to engine failure is unlikely.
(Green and yellow hydraulic systems)

4- I never had this problem on the Bus (no spoiler deployment at touchdown).

5- See, there is an "urban legend" about the airbus. There is not such thing as "computers taking over....”