PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Infringements of the Heathrow CTR
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2007, 14:00
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure what other practical and realistic options remain

There is an alternative if controversial POV: fly on your own devices, in Class G (or Class E), without any ATS service.

That's what mostly happens in UK Class G already. Only a few pilots call up London Info. With modern navigation, it's pretty effortless to just zoom around the place.

And if everybody had a Mode C transponder, anybody who spent money on TCAS would see them (no need for a radar service).

It isn't realistic to navigate around the London area without having to break off from LARS to get ATZ transit information/clearances and local movements

You are not under any abligation to call up a Class G airfield unless crossing their ATZ. And if you do, what can they tell you? They are mostly A/G radio so can tell you about their own circuit traffic, that's all. And if you have a GPS you can avoid all the ATZs easily to start with.

I never call up anybody unless I can get a meaningful service, and to me that means radar. A FIS is not worth the radio work, for what one gets out of it .... "13 aircraft known in your area"