PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R44 Pop-out floats
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2007, 10:53
scooter boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alex,
The youtube vid of the floats being popped was of my 44 in the hangar at Gloucester earlier this year.
The reason why nobody (including the manufacturer) would pop the floats and then intentionally land on water is that the engine would most likely be destroyed by water damage (esp if salty water).
I would suggest you contact Robinson directly for further info as I am sure the buoyancy of the system has been tested - they may even have the pictures you are looking for of a 44 floating on them.
The other thing you should be aware of is the high cost of re-charging and testing the system - REDI (another clipper owner) and I discussed this earlier this year - it is a four figure sum and enough to make you lose the urge to pull the trigger unless your life depended on it.

As previously stated the popouts are for passengers and crew safety and not designed for saving the helicopter. The chopper will most likely be scrap after putting down on water. Best to let it sink to the bottom and claim on the insurance rather than attempt salvage (in the opinion of a well respected helo engineer friend).

SB