PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Infringements of the Heathrow CTR
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2007, 08:17
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More to the point, how many countries have such a busy and yet flexible ATS system?
Very few, but then we have a long tradition of GA.

Comparisons will inevitably be made with the States.

If they are, it should not be forgotten that their systems are light years ahead of ours. If you havent flown there, you will simply not understand how good they are.

Florida airspace I would hazard is far busier than ours with a much more complicated mix of aircraft types. Flight following (RIS) is available everywhere, handovers are automatic and access to all airspace is hassle free. Add to that the simplicity of weather briefings, the in-flight weather and traffic services that are available and the way in which they manage to integrate commercial and private traffic and it is a world apart.

This inevitably reduces the risk of CAS busts because if nothing else the controller is likely to be talking to you, can see you on radar and will intercept the bust before it becomes too much of a problem.

I know, I know it costs and our system is different to theirs. I make the observation though because I so often read how busy our airspace is and how well we cope, when in fact if you have flown in Florida you reliase the way we do things is not necessarily the own way.

In addition to all that has been discussed, the other single change that would IMHO reduce CAS busts is an integrated AT policy for GA (in the same way that exists for commercial traffic). As the quote says, in the south east the UK has one of the most complicated airspace structures. This structure concentrates traffic OCAS into corridors of 1,400 feet with numerous choke points and alleys between CZs that gives the pilot no latitute for navigational error (or for that matter not spotting other traffic).

I have said it before, (but I will say it again) the south east desperately needs an integrated policy. The much heralded changes may achieve that. IMHO NATS has as much a responsibility to do something as does GA to improve its training and us pilots to accept our fundamental responsibility not to bust CAS.

Last edited by Fuji Abound; 24th Jul 2007 at 08:47.