PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2007, 04:02
Dream Land
PPRuNe supporter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This, to me, is so relevant; happened to me when I was a brand new skipper, first flight after a month's vacation, new FO, dispatch with one reverser inop. First two sectors went without incident but on the third (FO's leg) I reminded him of the inop reverser. Retrospectively he removed his hand compeltely from that thrust lever, it was midnight, dark cockpit. At the flare & "Retard" call he only closed the "operative" TL. The aircraft squawked "Retard" at least five times and then after the two second latch the engine that still had it's TL in the Climb detent went to TOGA. Aircraft yawed significantly and came dangerously close to the edge of the runway (we were at about 5 feet AGL). I took control, whammed the other TL closed and got the aircraft back on the black stuff. Was a long runway, CAVOK & wind calm. Glad it wasn't on a short, wet strip.
I know the "wait until the investigation" but that's it for me.
by 4HP
One of the operational checks after locking the T/R out is to energize hydraulics and select reverse on that side to confirm lock out, why try to change the manipulation of the thrust levers at all (select reverse on both sides), half the time I forgot, doesn't hurt a thing.

Last edited by Dream Land; 24th Jul 2007 at 08:42. Reason: sp