PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tasmanian multilateration
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2007, 03:44
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Tasmanian multilateration

What has happened in relation to the Airservices project to install multilateration outlets on mountain tops in Tasmania? This sounds like a pretty good system to me. It works with standard transponders, is highly accurate and not expensive. I would imagine it would be a better way to go in the short term whilst we wait for the world to sort out which ADS-B system is going to be accepted generally.

I would have thought that it would be a big saving for Airservices to replace the enroute secondary radars between Melbourne and Cairns with a multilateration system as per Tasmania.

I am looking for comments on this, and advice as to when the Tasmanian system will be up and going – if it is not already going.

By the way, I’ve been away – driving from Moscow to Kazakhstan. On the 4,400km drive I did not see one general aviation aircraft at all. The only aircraft we saw were a couple of airliners leaving Moscow, and a couple of airliners landing at Almaty. I’m sure things will change soon. There are many BMWs, Bentleys and Rolls Royces on the roads. The most popular new 4WD is a Lexus. I would imagine they will start moving their money into general aviation soon. Let’s hope Australia does all the training.

Last edited by Dick Smith; 24th Jul 2007 at 04:04.