PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Infringements of the Heathrow CTR
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2007, 21:55
Crash one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps I should clarify a bit.
Our fleet are C-152, 172 & Grob 115
I was trained on the 152, would have preferred the Grob but when I started it wasn't always available. The Grob has a GPS of sorts, the 152s have compass, DI, VOR, one of them even has a transponder! & we carry stopwatch chart etc. I quite enjoyed it, especially as it gets easier with practice.
On my QXC it was rain squalls, black cb in patches & some blue bits, no CAS in sight, the VOR was useful as I could dodge round the black bits without having to worry about getting back on track, Destination Perth so just followed the radial.
In the circuit & training area it would take a complete dummy to bust the Edinburgh zone. So perhaps we are lucky up here with so much class G, widely spaced towns/villages/lochs etc as landmarks.
I did find life a bit more difficult between Edinburgh & Glasgow cos it's far more built up & all looks the same, but, DI & stopwatch works just as well there, speak to Ed approach, very friendly, transits never a problem, just do as they say. I may well come unstuck if I go down to Sussex, having to squeeze sideways between all those zones. So perhaps we have things a bit easier up here, apart from a severe shortage of airfields less than 40nm apart.
Incidentally I am now looking to buy a Kitfox, bloody great fat wheels, compass, perhaps even a radio & wait to see what NPPL people do about floats. That would widen my horizons quite well enough. I have no great desire to go Far Far Away, isn't that were Shrek lives?

Last edited by Crash one; 23rd Jul 2007 at 22:11.