PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2007, 19:30
4HolerPoler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This out from Airbus today -

The data which follow have been approved for release by the Brazilian investigation authorities.

Facts collection is continuing on accident site with all parties involved.

Work on the accident site is very difficult due to post-accident damages (fire, building partial collapse).

The two accident recorders have been retrieved (CVR and DFDR) and provide good quality data.

The DFDR decoding started on July 20th, the CVR decoding started on July 23rd, both in NTSB facilities under the responsibility of the Brasilian investigation authorities with the participation of the other involved investigation authorities and parties.

It is confirmed that the aircraft was dispatched with the reverser of Engine 2 inhibited according to MEL.

Based from the preliminary analysis of the DFDR, and in agreement with the Brazilian investigation authorities, Airbus remind all operators to strictly comply with the following procedures:

A- During the flare at thrust reduction select ALL thrust levers to IDLE.

B- For the use of the thrust reversers when landing with one Engine Reverser inhibited refer to :
- For A320 MMEL 02-78-30 Rev 30
- For A310/A300-600 MMEL 02-78 Rev 15
- For A330 MMEL 02-78-30 Rev 17
- For A340 200/300/500/600 MMEL 02-78-3O Rev 19
This, to me, is so relevant; happened to me when I was a brand new skipper, first flight after a month's vacation, new FO, dispatch with one reverser inop. First two sectors went without incident but on the third (FO's leg) I reminded him of the inop reverser. Retrospectively he removed his hand compeltely from that thrust lever, it was midnight, dark cockpit. At the flare & "Retard" call he only closed the "operative" TL. The aircraft squawked "Retard" at least five times and then after the two second latch the engine that still had it's TL in the Climb detent went to TOGA. Aircraft yawed significantly and came dangerously close to the edge of the runway (we were at about 5 feet AGL). I took control, whammed the other TL closed and got the aircraft back on the black stuff. Was a long runway, CAVOK & wind calm. Glad it wasn't on a short, wet strip.

I know the "wait until the investigation" but that's it for me.

4HP