PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Want to be a Police Air Observer?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2007, 19:20
J.A.F.O.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Many of the above points are very valid but to draw any comparison between WSOps of whatever variety or AAC Crewmen and Police Air Observers is very wrong. There is a great deal of training involved in the military roles - not so with the police; a month or so and it's over to you.

As Max said observers are expected to take control and know exactly what needs to be done but, I'm afraid you're wrong about civvy observers not being able to do it, Max.

Charlie and AIDU - I see your point but as I said above the military training is far longer and much more in-depth; Suffolk didn't quite recruit from the streets, both of their civvy observers were already police staff within the force and one had seen more pursuits than any bobby. Your other points though, AIDU, are incredibly perceptive.

Personally I feel that recruiting civvy observers is fraught with dangers that the management may not see but the operational officers - both on the ground and in the air will find blindingly obvious.

Max, most officers on the ground wouldn't know whether they had a civvy, PCSO or bobby talking to them - as long as they receive from the aircraft what they need then it really doesn't matter but how you can recruit from the streets, teach someone how to give that service and be an air observer all within a few weeks I don't know.