PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Strange Habits of Your Captains
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2007, 15:33
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What 'vitriol' are some of you talking about? It's not me that wrote:
Some people sit in the left seat for years wondering how on earth they ended up with such idiots on their right.
I don't happen to have that attitude, and I don't talk like that! I was rhs for nearly 19 years before my turn came up, and I do make a proper working atmosphere with no overtones, unlike some, in both seats, I have flown with! Any vitriol in this thread was reserved for one taking cheap scoring points for a minor typographical error. But this thread damages working relationships encouraging copilots to drag up awful or embarrassing stories. Unless there is respect on the FD for the Captain, whatever the rhs thinks, you do not have a safe environment, and 500mph is no time to start discussing it.

This illustrates what I mean:
I realise that he/she in the LHS that carries the can and signs on the dotted line but as long as my ass is in that aeroplane I will make sure that my views and my experience are taken into account.
- can this mean "I'm taking away some of that authority, but I don't have to sign on the dotted line!"?
Views by all means 'taken into account', but not overriding- as long as we remember there is ONE boss. A crew is not a 'partnership'. Sometimes I think CRM dangles almost over the edge of a proper safe operation by almost encouraging any blockheadedness and obstructionism to be forcibly 'taken into account'!