PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sri Lankan Airlines - low hour pilots
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2007, 12:59
KSharp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$2000 a month for a junior F/O? Holy wow. Even for only 40 hrs a month, a salary like that on an Airbus jet is pretty low. I'm making that wage flying a Navajo in Canada.

I was going to do this program also as my parents are Sri Lankan, but because I am Canadian born and have Canadian citizenship only, it wouldn't work out. There are 3 ways to get around it.

1) Hold some sort of fixed asset (ie land or property)

2) Hold a university degree

3) You pay a sort of deposit of $25,000, which they hold for a year or something (i may have gotten that part wrong or mixed up)

If I can remember correctly those were the conditions that needed to be met. (or any 1 of those conditions).

In either case, jumping into an Airbus 320 with only 235 hours probably wont do much for your career. You'll be an f/o for life because they wont give you command time. I could have gotten my citizenship done by this year and ready to get into the cadet program but then I decided I wanted to get experience by working my way up from a Navajo to bigger and better things, and get my command time while I'm at it. I didnt want to miss out flying King Air's and 1900's before I get into fully automated machines :P

seriously though, think about it. Cadet programs are great if you want to get on a jet, but with 200 or so hours, you'll probably not get to see the left seat for YEARS.

Cheers and good luck