PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Engine Failure?!?!?!
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2007, 03:48
TexAussie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like it went smoothly. Good news. At least the press did not over dramatise it too much. They made it sound safe and routine. While many say it's just part of the job, as a passenger I think a nice landing after losing 50% of your horse power still deserves a good pat on the back for the guys in the front office. (Now for the B-52 drivers who frequently land with a one cigar not lit... well still an "emergency" but you guys have a bit more to play with!)

When the EK 773 had an uncontained failure departing MEL a few years ago some of the passengers gave some exciting testimony. Amazing how many aeronautical experts wear board shorts and flip-flops. (In fairness, I would have been scared if I saw a 737-width engine shred itself outside my window too).

In terms of QF history with 330 issues I think they have been good except the usual teething problems, especially for a carrier getting used to changes from a traditional flight deck (yoke, etc.) and Boeing systems.

A couple guys who fly Airbuses for JetStar told me they still say "oh $#*$, what's it doing now?!?" a lot, referring to the Airbus super computer flight manager, but they like the airplanes. Would image that just takes some getting used to.

Not a big deal, but Qantas did have a problem with an A330 that was brand new (think it was one of the first -300s) on a flight from MEL or SYD to PER. Had odour of fuel vapours in the cabin and made an emergency landing in Adelaide. I think that was all fine too. Not aware of any shutdowns on the 330.

JetStar had a 717 with an engine failure (believe it was contained) towards the top of the climb out of Tasmania. Big bang and a drop. Crew continued to Melbourne or Avalon (short flight and in a straight line) rather than return to Tasi because the airport at Launceston's fire rescue service had gone home for the evening. Good call for the crew... although the Tasmanian Fire Brigade Commander at Launceston was pretty mad... he said (on the radio interviewed next day) he would have called all the people at home and gotten them back... he felt a bit snubbed!