PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage affecting flight safety, analysts say
Old 22nd Jul 2007, 22:53
Bob Lenahan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BelArgUSA,
I enjoyed reading your post very much, but I seem to remember things a little different, maybe I'm a little confused as to specific airlines or dates.
Here's the way I rember things then, based on your post- comment as you wish as I could definetly be a little fuzzy:
In the mid 60's United had a program that if you had a commercial and two years of college they would guarantee you a class-date as soon as you graduated. I can't say how many were hired under that program. Problem was, by 1969 they had less than a handful of those hirees still with them because they could not maintain United's standards.
As I remember F/E's at United were making 20,000/yr.
I really can't think of any time period when Eastern was the largest airline in the U.S. I am real sure that by the time UAL took over Capitol Airlines they were the largest in the U.S. until American took over TWA. I believe United had been the largest since at least the early 50's.
By the late 60's, commuters were hiring co-pilots with all the certificates and ratings and 1000 hours at about $800/mo, and direct entry captains at $1500/mo- and the a/c back then flew max of 19 pax.
Todays RJ are 50 or more, pay about the same. Apparently too many people are willing to fly for free.