PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The answer to all our secrets
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2007, 22:37
in-my-opinion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uncontrolled airspace - is it really?

Need a bit of education on this one! I live in (well under actually!) an area of what I am told is uncontrolled airspace. Over our village we have frequent visits from fast military jets (Tornados from RAF Leeming) , somewhat slower military trainers (Tucanos from RAF Linton -on-Ouse), some very high altitude commercial jets (oceanic traffic I assume) as well as an assortment of micro-lites, gliders, glider tow aircarft from a small local field and at night some turbo-props, that I assume to be cargo mail flights.

The first question is very simple - how does everybody avoid each other as it is uncontrolled..... bearing in mind the variety of speeds and sophistication of onboard equipment (do gliders have any????)

I appreciate that altitude has a bearing on this separation ...although the Tornados do cover a variety of altitudes, the others could probably all be segmented. Is this and any on-board radar, TCAS etc enough to deal with this?

My second question is that I am often intriqued by who is up there and going where - is there any website that you can access with your co-ordinates and see what is tracking thru the area?

thanks