PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Infringements of the Heathrow CTR
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2007, 20:34
trafficcontrol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally think a huge problem with GA pilots, being one myself, is that many i talk to are affraid of ATC. They give controlled airspace a wide birth just so as not to have to talk to ATC.

I personally think too, although many of us fly in class G airspace only during a PPL should be required to make some sort of contact with a proper controlled airspace unit. Especially around the TMA / Heathrow CTR area

I myself am based at Wycombe EGTB, and decided that it was worth a trip, and so called up Luton radar and did a zone transit. Which was FANTASTIC!

After which, i was "temporarily uncertain of my position" as i prefer to call it! This was after i had left luton zone and was clear of their airspace.

visibility dropped soon after and i was concerned about drifting into Luton airspace again... I then realised my aircraft had ADF failure to which i couldn't track WCO NDB which would have certainly kept me clear of Luton and in the direction i required.

So i asked luton radar for a position fix and a bearing to wco.

They were very helpful, and i didnt feel like a prat for asking!

My message is, ATC units are there to provide you with a service. If in doubt ask.
Unfortunatly there have been many incidents where people have tried to hide the embarrasment over the radio by not asking and / or realising they have breeched controlled airspace and thus turned off the transponder which for a controller i would imagin is even worse, as now he/ she doesnt know where you are.

If in doubt Ask! If you dont know the frequency, London info, or D&D 121.5

at the end of the day, its not worth your licence, or a hefty fine that could come without!

I found Luton zone transit a wonder for experience!

Sam
TC