PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea Jigsaw
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2007, 20:12
Jisaw ARRC Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Jigsaw, from my point of view

Sorry for the intrusion, not being a pilot, but I thought that some input from me was needed to relieve the pessamists of the Jigsaw Project from any doubt as to the integrity and stability of the project itself.

I work on one of the RSV's, as an ARRC crewmember. I have done operations with the helicopter a few times now, all of them have run like clockwork.

Last time we did exercises with the Miller SAR aircraft was a week or so ago, the conditions were not perfect, and the wind was gusting 30+ Kts, but the pilot was incredibly able and skilled as was the winch operator, an the actual winch man. We safely landed the Winchman (Alan I think his name was) 3 or for times, then completed hi-line exercises and stretcher transfers with the SAR Helo, all operations went very smoothly in seas exceeding 3.5 - 4 metres.

This to me tells me that even in more extreme weather, the SAR Helo's, ARRC's and the RSV's combined can offer medical and Evacuation cover second to none, each ARRC has the capacity to evac 80+ personnel (top end) from a platform, and each ARRC is better equipt than a NHS Ambulance ashore, and we have the facilities onboard to offer a high degree of Primary, and Secondary Medical Aid.

One thing I did have concerns with at first was the Lauching Systems for the ARRC's but after a year or so of modifications, and uprades, these seem to now be Ironed out.

I hope that we can publicly generate awareness for the work that we in the marine sector, and yourselves in the Aviation sector can be proud of, and I honestly believe that this is the way forward for offshore safety regimes.

For people involved in Jigsaw, I hope that we can build on our relationships and make this a diverse, rewarding and proactive Project.

I would like to finish this article for Mr B Walker, who wrote to the Numast saying "The whole project and the concept is a joke and I quote " If I ever had the misfortune of falling in the water, leave me to make my own way home," Well Mr Walker, I'm sure you would change your mind when you are actually in the water freezing your balls off, and we come along to rescue you, you will appriciate why we are actually serving here in the North Sea, and more to the point, I am sure your family will appriciate you going home safe, Rather than in a Wooden Jacket.

Please reply with your thoughts on this.