PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The big merged L1011 thread
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2007, 18:00
Earl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That Thaisky L-1011 freighter from what I just was told has no extension paperwork on it for the engine A/D that expired in August of last year.
Was there had to buy my own ticket home.
The Thai female owner at Thaisky could care less about the crews.
She just looked at us in the face and said not her problem with a translater.
There were a few trying to buy or lease the aircraft but the owners were trying to ask too much to release the airplane.
This L-1011 has the small 522 engines.
I have to agree with 411, if this airplane is maintained by quaility trained ground engineers then it is a good aircraft.
The Jordanian ground engineers are some of the best, all ex RJ.
It can be an avionics nightmare for the ones that are not experinenced in such and cost the in-experienced company quite a bit in replacing parts that are fully servicable.
As far as the engine vibs problem, when this starts to get close to the limit of 2.5 on both channels, just have the N-1 blades checked.
These things slide, a common RR problem, once trapped with dirt crud etc it will give a vibration indication, this is easily corrected.
Same problem on the 747 with the rollers, not just a Tristar related issue.
The only negative thing that I can say about this aircraft pax or freight is that the brakes are very critical.
They overheat very easy.
Long Taxi, short runways, heavy weight aborted takeoffs are not user friendly.
Dont be a big foot on the brakes, if slightly overheated order an air cart to cool them once parked, chocked and brakes released and this aircraft will make you money and take you where you need to go.
And when maintained by qualified ground engineers and operated by experienced crews this aircraft is better than most.
To include the 747.

Last edited by Earl; 22nd Jul 2007 at 18:27.