PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2007, 15:15
Danny

aka Capt PPRuNe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, that's enough. I've stopped Barrymung from making any more posts on this thread for a while in order to save him from any more embarrassment and more importantly to stop this thread being drifted way off course with indignant replies to amateurish speculation.

I've been away for a few days and this is the first chance I've had to view the video's of the a/c as it went past the terminal. I'm not familiar with reverse thrust operation on the Airbus but it certainly looks like the No1 engine is in reverse mode and producing thrust, not just at idle judging from the spray pattern in the standing water.

Can someone with experience on the A320 family please tell us the way thrust reverse is actuated. On the Boeing, the forward-thrust levers can't be advanced until the reverse-thrust reverse levers have been stowed and even then there is a mechanical interlock to prevent the forward-thrust levers moving forward until the reverser clams/buckets have actually stowed. Unlike some suggestions on this thread, you can't just hit the TOGA buttons and expect to go-around once reverse has been selected. Is this the case with the A320?

I find it very strange all this speculation that the a/c was attempting to go-around after landing and especially after selecting even idle reverse. Even when doing some base training in the actual a/c for touch-and-go's, never mind in the sim, I have never even practiced going-around after selecting reverse. I would seriously doubt that a line crew, trainers or not, especially with pax, would initiate a go-around after landing and selecting reverse. It just goes so totally against the grain and any teaching that I know of for airline pilots on modern jet aircraft to attempt a go-around once reverse has been selected. Even when performing touch-and-go's for base training, it was explicitly briefed that reverse is not to be touched and if it was ten a full-stop would be performed. I don't know of any pilot who even briefs the possibility of a go-around once reverse has been selected under any circumstances during normal revenue ops.

It is very possible that inexperienced eyewitnesses assumed that the sound of reverse thrust was take-off thrust. The excessive speed seen in the video footage could very well be due to aquaplaning and only limited braking from the single thrust reverser. There is certainly enough spray to class that runway as WET. No way is it just DAMP.

So, could an experienced A320 pilot please explain the actions and what you would expect to happen with the thrust lever quadrant on that type should anyone have decided on performing a totally unnatural and untrained way to go-around after selecting reverse on that type. As far as I'm concerned, although I am prepared to be proven wrong by black-box data, the attempted go-around after landing is a red-herring and driven by uninformed speculation from those who have no real idea what the job involves.