PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Experience with Ken Andrews
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2007, 12:46
Kaptin Kook

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Top Bloke

Congratulations on passing your CPL flight test.

I had Ken for my CPL and MECIR in 2000. On my CPL exam, he pointed the Arrow straight up (it seemed like it) and handed over just before the stall and ask me to recover. Never thought that the Arrow could snap down like that. Then we did the low level nav section. At one point he asked me if I knew how to do a low level search pattern. I admitted that I didn't know. He taught me on the spot. We did my MECIR from Bankstown in IMC from start to finish. No games with the mixture on that flight. In hindsight, it was the most challenging flight I've ever done, but it was also the most "perfect", everything just clicked into place. Flying with him was a true honor.

I heard that he flew in Europe during WWII. Then heard another rumour of him being shot down by the Japanese later on in the Pacific. My Japanese classmate was kinda wary around the man.....

I was surprised to find out that he was an avid surfer and windsurfer. He was still into the sports back in 2000 (at 70? years old). We talked about the history and the latest innovations in the sports. A real cool dude.

When ever I think of the man, I have a mental picture of Albert Einstien flying a Spitfire. My hero too.