PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Infringements of the Heathrow CTR
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2007, 10:22
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent non evidence based anti-GPS rants chaps!
Yes, in this GPS, anti GPS debate, come why do we have so many "busts", I really dont understand how the anti lobby support their position.

It leaves me wondering how many of the anti GPS lobby have used a moving map GPS.

Strangely, the map shows you exactly where you are in real time. It shows you the important ground features and it shows you the controlled airspace. It is dead simple.

Now I appreciate there are some who struggle to read a paper map and who have no situational awareness what so ever. Whether these people should be pilots is debatable, but the fact of the matter is they are likely to struggle more with DR if they struggle in this way.

If you take the time to make sure you are familiar with your GPS and adopt some basic practices to ensure that if you use it for route planning the route you have entered corresponds with the route you intended to enter it is almost impossible to become lost or "bust CAS".

Those that say it is not reliable simply do not have the evidence to support their argument. You will read on here time and time ago pilots with 1,000, 1,200, 2,000 hours of time and have never seen a loss of signal for more than a few minutes. Of course you should have a plan if the GPS fails and as long as you have a realistic plan even if you have become very dependant on your GPS it will still get you out of trouble with "busting CAS" in the very unlikely event the GPS fails.