PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Infringements of the Heathrow CTR
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2007, 09:54
scooter boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GPS training should be mandatory for PPL

Excellent non evidence based anti-GPS rants chaps!

GPS remains my primary source of Nav data both in my helicopter and fixed wing aircraft (although I have the VORs/ILS tuned during IFR F/W flights). In fact I have no VOR/ADF equipment in the helo (just more dead metal to carry around for little benefit). Yes I have seen NO FIX POSSIBLE but only for a few seconds out of 1400hrs+. I am never IMC in the helo and worst case scenario would put it down in a field if necessary.

I do carry a current chart, sometimes with a line drawn on it if I am in unfamiliar territory and I plan as carefully as possible. I also look out of the window both to confirm position and look out for other aircraft.

Airspace infringements in my limited flying career = ZERO.

But having GPS is not enough, knowing how to use it is the real answer. So whether the infringeing aircraft were Cirri or not is irrelevant.

The problem with studes doing ded reckoning is that every group of houses looks the bloody same when you are on a solo X-C in an old bag of bolts ****ting yourself about having a midair or the engine stopping and trying to fly straight and level to boot.

GPS should be taught as part of any PPL syllabus IMHO.

SB