PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Re-instatement of Military Hospitals
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2007, 08:58
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Military Hospitals

Well no matter how clean they were, they couldn't be any worse than my area's HQ emergency hospital at Redhill, also a total b**tard place to get to at the best of times unless unlucky enough to pull the air ambulance straw, and a very long way from some of its catchment area.

When I had the pleasure of being there a few years ago I found unchanged sheets with bloodstains, used dressings under the bed, only 1 w/c working for hundreds of people, old ladies stowed away in beds under windows that wouldn't shut ( it was literally freezing outside ) - and just to cap off the atmosphere the lady next to me, a friend of a good friend of mine, expired next to me as she'd been delayed too long by the Doctors getting her there !

A very practical example of military hospitals - Haslar at Gosport.

For anyone who hasn't been to Gosport 'Island' by road, the traffic is atrocious, funnelled into one road on & off which is often at a crawl.

Haslar treated the whole highly populated area, civil & military alike - now, again unless one hits the jackpot to beat the traffic by being badly injured enough to get an air ambulance - or possibly does it at sea to get SAR - it's still the grim environs of Q.A, Portsmouth, where one can queue up with the nuts who have parts of the dodgy nightclub they were smashing up still embedded.

That's from personal experience too - must be more choosy where I break a toe on my boat next time ! If I'd known what was to happen I wouldn't have bothered ( and no I didn't call SAR ! ).

At Chichester nearby, on another occasion my girlfiend received fantastic treatment in a worrying situation and I can't say enough good about St.Richards - so they're trying to close at least the A&E part, meaning people are supposed to drive to Worthing - hang on they're closing that too...

Last edited by Double Zero; 22nd Jul 2007 at 12:25.